Child Development and Behaviour Counsellor – Surrey, BC
Being a parent can be one of the most challenging and also one of the most rewarding roles a person experiences. Every child is unique, every family is unique, and how each child’s characteristics interact with the environment around them is unique. As a parent it is normal to have difficulties understanding your children’s behaviours and emotional reactions. It is normal to become frustrated and at a loss for what to do. It is also normal to be reluctant to ask for help; but doing so can be the first movement towards building a stronger foundation of attachment and support, and strengthening your skills to manage behaviour and emotional reactions, allowing you and your children to enjoy a more healthy and connected relationship.
Alison has worked with children and youth for many years and has developed a unique set of skills that allows her to support and nurture children, parents and the relationship between them.
- Do you feel worried or overwhelmed by your child’s behaviour or emotional difficulties?
- Is your child acting out or displaying symptoms that concern you?
- Could you benefit from more effective parenting strategies to deal with challenging behaviours?
- As a parent, do you feel helpless, confused or frustrated?
- Are you faced with endless power struggles and arguing with no real resolution?
- Do you feel like your child is in control of your relationship or behaviour? Have the boundaries around who is in charge become blurred?
- Do you react to your child’s behaviour in a way that might not be helping?
Children are often trying to communicate through their behaviour, and it is often a matter of finding the right tools to truly listen and understand. Once you are able to “hear” what the behaviour is trying to convey, many changes in behaviours, emotional reactions and relationship dynamics can change. Children thrive in a safe, secure and emotionally responsive environment. Sometime things get in the way, and with support parents and children can experience the benefits of a close, and securely attached relationship.
Alison often works with children who experience:
- Adjustment Difficulties
- Heightened Sensitivity
- Behavioural Regression
- Acting-Out Behaviours
- Obsessive-Compulsive Behaviour
- Social Anxiety
- Eating Issues
- Self-Esteem Issues
- School Refusal
- Difficulties in School Environments
- Divorce and Separation
- Attachment Difficulties
- Traumatic Event
- Explosive Reactions
- Aggressive Behaviours
- Peer Relationship Challenges
In situations when a child’s behaviour or emotional reactions are a concern it is often very helpful to seek professional support. Often a combination of child counselling/play therapy, parent counselling or parent and child counselling can be of significant benefit.
Ready to make a change?
Contact Alison Bell, Surrey BC Family Counsellor, to explore the initial first step in reaching your goals.
Alison will speak to you directly to discuss your areas of concern and determine how she may be best able to assist you. Finding the right therapist to support you is essential and Alison will be very happy to speak with you at any time to discuss your circumstance and hopes for the counselling or psychotherapy process.